We are at a point in our history where we need to 'alter or abolish' the current federal govt. It is corrupt, deceitful, wasteful of the citizens' lives & property, & has spent us into near economic collapse.
The first step is a simple list of budget cuts that are in line with the constitution. ..not picking & choosing the ones we like, but cutting ANY & ALL of them. There is no partisan favoritism here, just meat cleaver fiscal policy. Cut the military to the bone.. the hawks will howl, but they have been overspending & over meddling with the us military for decades. Cut the welfare state to the bone.. the libs will howl, but they have done the same. Cut taxes to a fair amount that only the top earners pay. The poor & lower middle classes should pay nothing. They also should get no benefits from the feds for being poor.. just not be taxed for it. If states want to give away free food, housing, cell phones.. they can do it (and pay for it). But that should be a local matter, not something for the united states govt. THAT govt should concentrate on foreign affairs & treaties, a stable currency, & homeland defense. All the meddling in business, education, healthcare, housing, redistribution, & lots of other federal acronyms should not be allowed, as they are unconstitutional. A federal govt like this could be manageable.. people could haggle with the other things at the state & local level, where the people actually are. The federal govt should only be concerned with things that are of common interest to the states.
Here's my list.. open to tweaking..
1. Balanced budget amendment. They cannot spend more than they take in. During war, sell bonds.
2. Stable currency. Congress should take responsibility of the treasury. The federal reserve should be phased out, & the dollar stabilized with hard assets. Even oil reserves can be used to provide backing. But fiat currency is destroying western civilization. Just like the dollar used to be a set amount of silver, it can now be a set amount of oil, or a combination of precious metals. It can be done. The statists & world bankers just don't want it to be done.
3. End military meddling & occupation. No police actions, no unconstitutional 'executive actions', no illegal wars. We are in a time of relative peace, if we want. We are unable to police the world.. both by sheer numbers & costs. Make reasonable treaties with allies. End ALL foreign aid.
4. Wind down the welfare state. Begin to wean everyone off the dole. Stabilize social security with valid actuarial numbers, & make it voluntary. It should pay for itself, & not be subsidized or run like a pyramid scheme. Phase out & completely eliminate all redistribution schemes. They do not work, but breed crime, corruption, & trap people in generations of dependency.
5. End all govt programs & departments, & massively cut the dept of defense. We can identify any real threats to our security, & assign funds to meet those threats. End govt contracts & contractors, & start over, justifying each one within the parameters of real need for national security. Have several checks & balances for that determination. No foreign aid. No grants. No subsidies. The federal govt is too inept & corrupt to be responsible for handling the public funds in this way. It is a magnet for corruption.
IMO, 3 branches of govt, with corresponding checks & balances, are the best form of governance invented by man. The US constitution is a brilliant concept, & can work if implemented & guarded by the people. We have been lax in protecting this system.. scoundrels & charlatans have sneaked in & corrupted the intent & purpose they are charged with. They have elevated themselves to an elite ruling class, & have forgotten or deliberately distorted the role of the public servant. For generations, we have gotten worse stewards than the previous ones, all plundering the public treasury for political & personal gain.
It is time for Americans to take back their country. Where are the leaders & patriots? Where are the governors & statesmen to call for an American Spring? This federal govt is corrupt to the core.. it is decayed & useless, except to lead us to ruin & destruction. It is time to cut up their credit cards & demand fiscal responsibility.
The power to determine the quantity of money... is too important, too pervasive, to be exercised by a few people, however public-spirited, if there is any feasible alternative. There is no need for such arbitrary power... Any system which gives so much power and so much discretion to a few men, [so] that mistakes - excusable or not - can have such far reaching effects, is a bad system. It is a bad system to believers in freedom just because it gives a few men such power without any effective check by the body politic - this is the key political argument against an independent central bank. ~Milton Friedman
Too often in recent history liberal governments have been wrecked on rocks of loose fiscal policy. ~FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
"I place economy among the first and most important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers to be feared. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. If we run into such debts, we must be taxed in our meat and drink, in our necessities and in our comforts, in our labor and in our amusements. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people, under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy." ~Thomas Jefferson
It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. ~Thomas Jefferson
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower
The lessons of history, confirmed by evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence on relief induces a spiritual and moral disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. It is inimical to the dictates of sound policy. It is a violation of the traditions of America. ~FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.” ~Benjamin Franklin
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." ~Samuel Adams