Philosophical Musings

Philosophical Musings

Friday, January 20, 2012

Firearms..

I hunted a lot as a kid in Missouri, but not much since coming to az 25+ yrs ago. I had an old 16ga rem 870 i bought used when i was 16.. gave it to my older son for xmas cpl yrs back. I inherited my dad's old k22 masterpiece.. a s&w beauty. I used to hunt squirrels with it. I also got his 38 spc revolver. .. and i have a couple of 22 rifles. a rem. nylon 77 & ithaca single shot.

But in the last few years, i've added to my old collection. I decided to get a more modern rifle, so got a bushmaster 223, & a bolt action tikka 308. My son in law got me started with another handgun, a glock 19. I've got a couple more 22's & some 12 ga. I went duck hunting up in ogden last year, & got a semi 3.5" tristar.. cheap but functional. Also have a pump & an older browning A3.

I guess that sounds like a lot.. it is surprising how things like this accumulate. They don't wear out, & if you take care of them, don't lose them , break them, or get them stolen, they will last for generations.

I know most countries in the world do not have a second amendment like we do in the us. Looking over the history of the world, i believe it has contributed to our longevity as a nation.. having a well armed citizenry. The Japanese ruled out invading the us in early ww2, because they thought 'there will be a rifle behind every blade of grass'.

Many in the rest of the world probably do not understand how the 2nd amendment is a good thing, but in states where there are fewer restrictions, there is actually less crime. We have a naturally inbred distrust of our govt. It is part of our dna. The govt cheerleaders want us to let them have more power over us.. restrict us more, but hopefully they will not succeed & the us will remain a beacon of individual freedom. We have the longest active constitution in the world, & it can last longer if we can stop the run toward statism we have been on for a while.

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. 
Thomas Jefferson 


"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel."
Patrick Henry 


"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
Samuel Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment