Philosophical Musings

Philosophical Musings

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Religious bigotry

I had no idea that so many people have been molested by priests or other religious leaders.. there seems to be a lot of hostility directed toward 'religion'. I agree that religions in general are used by politicians to justify many evils, but it looks to me like a baby & bathwater thing.

Of course, i have a broader view of 'religion'. I think everyone has a religion or a philosophy that motivates & inspires them.

People don't have to be 'religious' to be bigots, either, but they have a worldview that brings them there. Atheists, agnostics, new age goddesses, & fundamental christians all have a view of life that motivates them. Some of them have character flaws, too.

I think it is kind of bigoted to bash another's world view just because you don't believe it. I see more hatred & intolerance toward 'religious' people from seemingly intelligent people than from racists.

I can probably find more things that other people believe that i don't. Does that make them bigoted or stupid? Maybe. Or maybe they have a different point of view, or maybe they are just wrong. Maybe i'm wrong. I've been wrong before, & am very likely wrong now in many of my perceptions. I know this is highly unlikely, but i'm open to even a slim possibility.

But who cares. Hate away at all the other haters. That's what really makes us human, after all.

Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
George Bernard Shaw


“I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn’t wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine.”
Bertrand Russell

"If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised."
Dorothy Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment