Philosophical Musings

Philosophical Musings

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Forum debates

I am involved in many forums where we debate politics & philosophy.  I have been accused of being 'pseudo-intellectual', because i sometimes use big words.

"I probably just seem intellectual to you guys because i can write in complete sentences and can complete a thought. I like to use the whole spectrum of the english language, which is very descriptive. Sorry if my posts are too heady.. i'll try to dumb it down more.."

I'm a fire breathing constitutional conservative.. and i did inhale!

It amazes me how many on the left do not want to have an intelligent discussion about issues. They seem to only want to ridicule & snipe at others' points, without presenting any ideas or thoughts of their own. Truth & understanding are not sought, but only division, deflection, & diversion. I guess i should realize that this is their goal. They don't want a consensus or real solutions, but they want to muddy the water so everything seems obscure & mysterious. I used to think it was just immature debaters, frustrated because they don't have any logic or reasoning behind their positions, but i think now that sniping & deflection *is* the method chosen for discussion.

I get weary of being misrepresented, quoted out of context, & being pushed into debating points i am not making. I make a reasonable point, then it is distorted & thrown back in my face.. many do this in the forums. It is nothing new, but sometimes i get tired of it. Straw. Camel. Back. I think the problem is when you discuss things with arrogant, self absorbed people, they don't bother really reading what you are saying, but skim it quickly, make a snap judgment, put the opponent in a box, & begin their usual canned talking points response. The response does not address the point being made, so it appears i am arguing for something completely different from what i posted. This is just a pet peeve. ..i don't expect things to change.

But i do not submit to intimidation or bullying over points of logic. I don't rely on distortion or lies to make my points. I am a seeker of Truth.. a starry eyed idealist, searching for answers. Winning debating points on a forum is not high on my list of achievements or goals. I channel John Wayne just enough to not have much patience with liars & hypocrites. I cut people slack, but eventually i'll draw the line. I prefer good natured, intelligent conversation, with some dry humor mixed in. I know some people are not as bright, or miss subtleties in a discussion, but i don't bash them over it. I have the least patience with the self proclaimed elitist who believes himself to be of superior intellect, & constantly reminds everyone else how smart he is, & how stupid they are. People don't have to toot their own horn. It will be evident soon enough in your conversation if you have any intelligence, integrity, or civility.


It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them. ~Pierre Beaumarchais


“The Democrats seem to be basically nicer people, but they have demonstrated time and again that they have the management skills of celery. They're the kind of people who'd stop to help you change a flat, but would somehow manage to set your car on fire. I would be reluctant to entrust them with a Cuisinart, let alone the economy. The Republicans, on the other hand, would know how to fix your tire, but they wouldn't bother to stop because they'd want to be on time for Ugly Pants Night at the country club” ~Dave Barry


“He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.” ~Groucho Marx

No comments:

Post a Comment